More pages in this section
Wellbeing Wednesday - Starting a conversation about mental wellbeing
Mental wellbeing is everyone's business.
We all play a role in supporting the mental health of those around us. Yet, stigma and fear of judgment often prevent people from seeking help. Knowing how to initiate a conversation about mental health with someone you care about can make a significant difference.
Here are some tips from R U Ok? to help you start the conversation:
- Ask the direct question, R U OK?
- Be relaxed, friendly, and concerned in your approach.
- Explain why you are asking and mention specific moments that have made you concerned.
- Listen without judgement.
- Keep asking open-ended questions.
- Encourage the conversation by asking, “You seem down lately, how have things been?” or, “Tell me more about how you are feeling?”
- If they don’t want to talk, don’t criticise them.
- Check in with them later.
As a society, we've made progress in providing mental health support. selectabillity’s programs like Well Man assist men in living longer, happier, and more fulfilling lives by promoting preventative strategies, information, practical tips, and life promotion skills that enhance physical, mental, and social wellbeing.
Learn more, please visit https://www.wellman.org.au/
selectability acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land on which we provide services and pay our respects to Elders past, present and emerging. We acknowledge those with lived experience and those who support and partner with us to improve mental wellbeing and prevent suicide across regional Queensland.