More pages in this section
Peer-led community support
Opening Doors is a peer-led program available in Townsville, designed to support individuals aged 12 and above experiencing mental health challenges while they are on a waitlist following a referral for clinical care.
Peer workers will support an individual’s mental wellbeing during their wait period by providing one-on-one support, including face-to-face and over the phone, in addition to facilitating group sessions.
The program provides
- a safe space to open up and feel connected
- mentorship from a peer worker with lived experience skilled in recovery-based practice, trauma informed care and building resilience
- the opportunity to develop coping strategies, stress reduction techniques and understanding of community services
- early intervention to reduce the likelihood of people presenting to Emergency Departments in emotional distress or crisis
- clinicians and GPs with an avenue of support for vulnerable people when there is limited capacity to deliver services.
selectability acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land on which we provide services and pay our respects to Elders past, present and emerging. We acknowledge those with lived experience and those who support and partner with us to improve mental wellbeing and prevent suicide across regional Queensland.